Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Dreading Easter?

With Easter coming up we face our first big "candy" holiday since we started the dye free adventure. Valentines was easy--most chocolates don't have dyes. Christmas was a breeze--granny found candy canes at Trader Joes with no red in them and we had some dye free sprinkles for cookies. I am just so torn about Easter and more specifically the Easter Egg Hunt. Elijah had a blast last year picking up the eggs and eating WAY too much stuff. I would love to take him again but I know he shouldn't eat anything out there or we risk a reaction. At first I thought I was overreacting but he had a candy necklace today after MOPS and he has tantrumed non stop all afternoon so far and isn't napping. We'll see how tonight goes but it isn't looking good. I thought about just stuffing my pockets with "acceptable" candy and trading him for everything in his eggs but I am not sure if he will go for that. I mean Hershey kisses and Kit-Kats don't hold the appeal of suckers and jellybeans.

I know in the grand scheme of things this is a small sacrifice to make and that there are kids who don't participate because of life threatening allergies. My heart goes out to those parents. The worst I will face is a night or two of no sleep if he gets something he shouldn't. It still makes me feel bad that he is going to miss out on somehting I remember enjoying a lot.

What would you do?

No comments: