Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Simply Scrumptions Spinach Pancakes

I made breakfast for dinner last night and everyone (except me and Baby Denton #3) enjoyed it very much! Elijah ate like I hadn't fed him in a year! He consumed 5 pancakes, 3 slices of bacon, hash browns and 2 big slices of cantalope. Lydia ate 3 pieces of cantalope, 1 slice of bacon, hash browns and one pancake. Justin ate a ton of pancakes and his body weight in hash browns. All in all a wonderful dinner :)

That brings me to the pancakes--my kids don't really like the bisquick pancakes you can make. Too much like bread I guess--they don't like bread. A couple of weeks ago MckMama (See My Charming Kids' Blog link) posted her Spinach pancake recipe. I decided we were going to try it. We had some spinach left over from mega salads a few nights ago. Here is the recipe we used--they were beyond delicious!

Simply Scrumptious Spinach Pancakes

Makes about 12 five inch pancakes

1 C pancake mix (Bisquicks, Bob's Red Mill--whatever)
3Tbsp Honey
2 Tbsp Flax Seed Meal (optional--this is great for Omega 3s)
2 eggs
1 cup fresh spinach finely chopped (I used my pampered chef chopper but a food processor would also work)
1/2 C Sour cream
Milk to thin out the batter to the right pancake consistancy

Mix everything and cook like you would normal pancakes.

You can't taste the spinach I promise. The sour cream adds a nice twang. We served it with real maple syrup from Trader Joes--100% maple--Mmmmmmmmm.

Elijah was thrilled with his "twangy pancakes with green sprinkles."

No comments: