Friday, January 15, 2010

Mom of Three . . .

Its truly amazing how much you change from your first baby to your third. I remember being scared to even shower and leave Elijah alone on the floor in the bathroom when he was a bitty baby. I have no idea what I did with all my time when he was my only one. Granted he didn't sleep and cried a LOT but still . . . whew! Today, with all three at home, I've already changed all the sheets and laundered the dirty ones, done a load of cloth diapers, dropped off a baby gate to a friend who just got a puppy and went grocery shopping. I didn't plan around the baby's feeding/sleeping or anything. With EJ everything was highly orchestrated.

Yesterday when the older two woke up we went outside to play. It was chilly--in the 40's--but that is downright balmy for us lately. Bethany went along of course, wrapped in a blanket and tucked in a sling inside my sweatshirt. I never would have done that with Elijah. I also wouldn't have gotten on the ground and dug up our pine straw pile looking for hibernating lizards with a baby in the sling. Granted the only reason i was doing that was because my three year old wanted to, but still, wallowing on the ground in 40 degree weather with a baby on my chest . . . I am a different woman.

With Elijah I was careful to always het him perfectly clean and have him in cute matching clothes. With Bethany clean clothes are always on her but they aren't always cute, they don't always fit and they don't always match. Today, she had a major blowout and instead of trying to clean her up with the wipes and stuff I just got her naked and took her to the kitchen sink and sprayed her off. Saved about 5 wipes and 10 minutes of trying to clean a screaming newborn. (Yes I did clean out the sink and clean the counter afterwards--still saved myself a bunch of time). I never would have done that with EJ.

I am really enjoying what I know will be my last babe. It is so much more fun now that I have older ones to distract me brom the monotony of a bitty baby (I am NOT a baby person). It also makes me cherish the time I do have alone with Bethany--listening to her tiny squeaks and slurps and grunts and coos--snuggling up to her while she nurses--breathing in her milky sweet baby breath--ahhhh.

I am fast becoming an expert at handling three munchkins and I am OH SO HAPPY that this is where the Denton's have ended up. Five is a wonderful number!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

YEP, YOU ARE HANDLING THINGS QUITE WELL AND YOU INSPIRE ME AS WELL AS OTHERS WHO READ YOUR POST!!!BRAVO & WAY TO GO MS DENTON FAMILY OF 5 ;0)!!!!