Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Frustration!

Caution--this is a negative complaining rant about selling the house. I don't have much positive to say and I am just writing it down so I remember!

The house has been on the market for 7 weeks now. 7 weeks of making the bed, washing every dirty dish the minute it gets dirty, vacuuming and dusting way more than I used to, 90% of the kids toys being packed away, no sewing machine, no books or bookshelves . . . .its been a big adjustment. When we decided to put the house on the market when Justin got his new job it was a lot of sleepless nights. We were up until 1or 2am packing, arranging and getting the house showable. We felt a huge urgency to get the pictures taken, get the repairs we'd been putting off made and get it listed. Now 7 weeks later and we haven't had a single showing. It is horribly disappointing. All the stress, all the cleaning, for NOTHING!! Grrrrr! To top it off we've dropped the price by $10,000 so if it sells for what we're asking we will be out about $30,000 from the upgrades and repairs. Not cool :( The only real consolation is that we've been here 7 years in July so that averages out to $357 a month--cheaper than what we would have spent on renting a place.

The kids miss their toys and are trying to get used to our new schedule with Justin commuting. Some nights they are asleep before he gets home. Thankfully, they have stopped getting up at 4:30or 5am to try and see him before work. They were just so worried they would miss him in the morning. Needless to say with all the extra work of keeping the house clean, starting my day with exceptionally grouchy sleep deprived children on top of being sleep deprived myself was not a good combination!

We took a much needed break and went to the beach house during spring break to decompress. I did dishes at night after everyone else was in bed. I didn't make the beds. The kids had about a million toys out and I just kicked them to the side every night. It was bliss!

Now we're back and in our groove. The beds are made. One toy at a time. LOTS of playing outside to keep the inside nice. A guaranteed breakfast with daddy at 6:30am before work so they don't get up at dark-thirty (though often they still do ). The promise of getting to stay up until daddy gets home if they nap well has worked well most days.

The house is staying relatively clean. It is much easier to keep clean when the rooms are pretty much empty. If we don't use it often it is already packed up.

I moved 8 times in 6 years in college. I don't mind moving. I have never before tried to sell a house though. I think this is harder by far. I like packing and unpacking and purging all that you don't need, but living with 1/2 my stuff packed up, missing it at least weekly and making due without is hard. The limbo. To top it off it still feels like so far at least it is all for nothing since we haven't had even a nibble on the house.

I know God's timing is perfect but I don't like this limbo. It is hard on all of us. Elijah is especially upset about every little change and these are some BIG changes he's had to deal with. He is acting out frequently and I have a lot less patience since I am so stressed too. I am also concerned about school--he's supposed to start kindergarten in the Fall and I don't want to screw it up for him. I'm also ready to have dinner as a family again, do my Arbonne on the weeknights again, have my husband back home instead of driving 3 hours a day and to just be settled.

I'm going to talk with Justin tonight about painting some rooms (or rather hiring someone to do it) to make our house look more "updated" and get rid of the wallpaper. Hoping a better presence online in the pictures will translate to more potential buyers coming by. Just really looking forward to getting past this phase and into the next one and grasping at anything that I think might make the house look nicer.

If you know of anyone looking for a wonderful 3br 2.5 ba house with new window, new roof, freshly shampooed carpets, formal living and dining, den and soon to be an awesome paint job send them our way. Also got a 1 car attached garage, fabulous screened room off the back and a wired garage/ourbuilding in the back with a fenced in yard. Its a steal at only $149,900!!

No comments: