Saturday, February 04, 2012

Stuff. . .

Whew!
Life is running away with us and the blog is far past even the back burner. I've been using it mainly to remember the cute stuff they say and not as much to share what's going on. I know I will regret this in a couple of months when I go to do our scrapbook and can't remember what on earth we did!!

We've been keeping busy trying to adapt to our new routine. Before Christmas was busy with homeschool, storytime and trying to find playdates so that we weren't at home all the time. The kids are aching for some good friendships.

This January we started "Friday school" for Elijah and Lydia and they really like it. It is a homeschool co-op and there are 12 kids ages 4-6 in one classroom at a church from 9-12. They let Lydia in a bit early (thank goodness!!). Instead of driving the 30 minutes home, Bethy and I have the new routine of a "Panera pit stop" at Streets of Southpoint where we split a bagel. Then we ride escalators for 45 minutes or so and then play outside at the fountains or at the childrens play area inside depending on the weather. Thank goodness I am not a shopaholic!! Ever week we spend our $1.37 on our bagel and that's it. It is so much fun having just her!! It is also nice that I am forced to focus on her. I don't want her in the car for 2 hours so we don't drive home. I can't have a "to do" list a mile long. Of course, this leaves me scrambling on Friday afternoon since I am just not used to being gone all morning.

We also started Science for Elijah in Chapel Hill on Tuesday afternoons. This is probably the hilight of his week. He met a little boy, Xan, who he is buddies with. It is so cute. Unfortunatly, Xan lives in Burlington, so I don't see many playdates in our future! The girls and I either hang out and play with the other kids and homeschooling moms or we hit up Trader Joes. Fun for us either way. It just makes for a tough Tuesday because everyone has to skip naps :/

After months of begging we finally signed Lydia up for dance. She is in a preschool ballet class through the rec for 6 weeks. The commitment time was right, most of the dance studios wanted a full semester commitment (and they were a lot more expensive). She hates it. She thought it was going to be like Ballet camp with craft and a snack. .. not just dancing for 45 minutes. She has fun in class, is obedient and loves to show off at the end, but she truly cries and begs not to go after only 2 classes. I am making her go for the next 4 because she does have so much fun once we're there, but we won't be signing up for that again!! Probably going to try and plan to go back to Wilson and stay with grandparents while she does a dance camp this summer.

We've also started a once monthly swap with a mom from my small group. She has one son who is almost 1 and she comes here and watches my kiddos one day and then we go and pick him up and watch him here one day a month. IT is great. This month I am using my "Free time" to take just Lydia to the dentist to get sealant on her teeth and then on a mommy and daughter date. Love that!!!

This month my class at JoAnn's actually "made" and I was able to teach. The rough part is that is Friday nights so I felt like travelling on the weekend was just out. The great part--last night was class 4 of 4 so its over. Hoping to have some more classes in the future and they are scheduled on Monday and Tuesdays. It was fun to do!

Justin has been working a lot of overtime to meet various deadlines so most of the time we're on our own for dinner and bed. It was tough at first but now I've got the routine down pat. It is nice to have time to chill and clean up and listen to my music without talking. My ears are so tired from listening to the chatter of the little ones that an hour of cleanup is just relaxing at this point. I also love having a "clean' house to wake up to.

We've been sucked in by Lost. Love that series and its on Netflix so we can watch it with no commercials. Score! Each episode is about 40 minutes long. Been watching while I fold laundry and stuff. We're almost in the last season so we'll be done before long. It will be nice to not have the time drain, but I know I'll miss it too :)

We've still been homeschooling like mad . . . made a paperchain to count down to Lydia's party yesterday and made a "Magic E" monster who eats words and spits out a word with a magic e on the end to change it (cap to cape for example). Loving my laminator that my in-laws got me for Christmas. My FIL even had to fix it when I got something stuck in there. Works great though and there are so many uses. My favorite have been the make your own dry-erase things. Kiddos love it! Elijah does math, reading and handwriting every day. We play a phonics game or a spelling game daily too. He also has to read books everyday. He is doing great. I do think though if we continue next year we are going to do something more regimented with units like Sonlight or Abekka. I need to have boxes to check off to make sure I am hitting everything. We will find out about the Charter's and Magnets in March and that will determine whether or not we'll keep homeschooling. I am so torn but feel confident that we'll make the right decision.

That's all for now :) Hubby let me sleep in this am and I took the time to blog. Sigh. Stupid internal clock wakes me no later than 7:30. Off to enjoy a fun saturday as a family.

No comments: